The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Bar Association (DHHBA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization of deaf, hard of hearing, and late-deafened attorneys, judges, law school graduates, law students, and legal professionals. We are a member-focused organization, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas, building relationships, and informal mentoring. We have all types and degrees of hearing loss and use all types of communication methods and accommodations.
We work together to support and encourage each other, provide advice, educate others, inspire change, and come together as an organization for the advancement of people with hearing disabilities in the legal profession. We provide networking events, professional education and employment opportunities, and an invaluable support system in overcoming obstacles in the legal profession.
We welcome prospective members with all types and degrees of hearing loss, communication methods, and accommodations, so join us today!
Why Join DHHBA?
- Access to a supportive network of fellow deaf and hard of hearing attorneys, judges, legal professionals, and law students around the United States.
- Public listing on the “Find A Lawyer” directory for referrals and potential clients.
- Access to the DHHBA member-only listserv and receive updates on DHHBA events, employment opportunities, scholarship announcements, and other news.
- Resources for accommodations and other issues facing deaf and hard of hearing attorneys, legal professionals, and law students.
- DHHBA is the only bar association in the country dedicated solely to advancing employment and education opportunities for deaf and hard of hearing attorneys, judges, legal professionals, and law students.
- Opportunities to work towards DHHBA’s goals by participating in DHHBA activities or develop leadership skills by becoming a DHHBA Board member or joining DHHBA committees.
2019-2020 DHHBA Board of Directors
President – Rachel Arfa
President Emeritus – Anat Maytal
Vice President – Debra Patkin
Recorder – Sarah Weimer
Board Member at Large – Zainab Alkebsi
Board Member at Large – Elizabeth Knox
Board Member at Large – Reema Radwan
2014-2018 DHHBA Board of Directors
President – Anat Maytal
Secretary – Sarah Weimer
Treasurer – Mark Sorokin
National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Liaison – Debra Patkin
Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (AGBell) Liaison – John Stanton
Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Liaison – Reema Radwan