The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Bar Association (DHHBA) Board of Directors denounces police brutality and systemic racism against Black individuals and the Black community. We are outraged by the senseless murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and many other victims before them. We mourn all the victims, those whose names we should never forget and those whose names we may never know.
We recognize that our Black members of DHHBA face racial discrimination on top of disability discrimination and we surround them with love and respect. We support our Black members, the Black deaf and hard of hearing community, and the entire Black community.
As attorneys, law students, and legal professionals, we use words as our power but acknowledge that action is needed. Accordingly, we urge our non-Black DHHBA members, the non-Black legal community, and the non-Black deaf and hard of hearing community to join the fight for justice and equality for all and to support and/or donate to the following organizations:
- National Black Deaf Advocates – www.nbda.org
- HEARD – www.behearddc.org
- Black Lives Matter – www.blacklivesmatter.com
- Movement for Black Lives – www.m4bl.org
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund – www.naacpldf.org
- Brennan Center for Justice – www.brennancenter.org
- National Bar Association – www.nationalbar.org
- Law for Black Lives – www.law4blacklives.org
- Circle of Mothers – www.circleofmothers.org
- Anguish and Action – www.obama.org/anguish-and-action/
- List of bail funds for protesters and others – www.teenvogue.com/story/george-floyd-protests-how-to-help-bail-funds
Black Lives Matter.